The original Stone Manor stood majestically amid the estate grounds for many years and is believed to date back to the Doomsday Book. Sadly this magnificent building was destroyed by fire. In the early 1920’s one James Guleeth Hill embarked upon the enormous task of rebuilding Stone Manor as his private dwelling, utilizing funds bequeathed to him by his Aunt. The building was re-sited to where it stands today and was completed in 1926. Evidence of this date can be seen today on the tall chimney to the front of the building clearly depicted in brick work.
In 1936 Stone Manor was acquired by Earnest Palethorpe, a well known sausage manufacturer based in Tipton, as his private residence. Earnest’s brother, Captain Jack Palethorpe, who lived in Blakedown, was the father of the famous Olympic equestrian Dawn Palethorpe. In the 1950’s Dawn astride her mount ‘Earlsrath Rambler’ and her colleague Pat Smythe riding ‘Tosca’ became familiar figures on television as world class show jumpers. The immaculate stable yard at Stone Manor (Once our manor suite, now transformed to cottages) provided home for Dawn’s horses & ample exercise runs amid the acres of the Stone Manor estate.
In the early 1960’s The Manor was purchased by Mr John Bright as a family home. Mr Bright was a well known and respected figure within the flourishing steel industry. In the late 1960’s The Manor changed hands again, this time purchased by Mr & Mrs Geoffrey Lamb, again as a family home. Shortly after moving in, permission and a license was granted to utilize part of the building as a country club.
In June 1970 Mr & Mrs Franco D’Aniello purchased Stone Manor from the Lamb’s as a going concern to refurbish & extend to what we know as Stone Manor today. At the time many alterations and extensions were embarked upon such as the Dining Room, Hive Bar, Drawing Room, Garden Suite & the then Manor Suite, and also the kitchens as they stand today. In 1979 another large extension to the building provided a further seventeen bedrooms, making a total of twenty three, in addition to our Burrow Lounge.
In 1985 Calcot Hotel Ltd acquired Stone Manor to accompany The Cricklade Hotel & Country Club; our former sister Hotel. On Monday 28th March 1988, Stone Manor’s longest serving chambermaid Mrs. Frances Peters, at the grand age of eighty two, undertook the first ceremonial dig before work commenced on the new bedroom extension. After ten months of hard work the additional thirty bedrooms were fully completed and officially opened on 1st February 1989, making a total of 56 bedrooms altogether.
In February 2015, Helena Hogarth along with Husband Andy took ownership of Stone Manor, with great ideas and renovations in mind. In January 2016 a 5 month refurbishment plan started to take place, by May, 50 of the 56 bedrooms had been refurbished along with all function suites and public areas, creating the Stone Manor we know and love today.
Surviving a pandemic, the hotel is thriving as a 56 bedroom luxury hotel offering staycations, afternoon teas, restaurant dining, business events and hosting many special occasions including exclusive weddings.